Junior String Orchestra
The Junior String Orchestra (BYJST) is a beginning ensemble for young string players who demonstrate a good foundation in playing technique and note-reading. Rehearsals emphasize establishing rhythm and sight reading skills, as well as rehearsal etiquette and performance skills. Junior Strings is comprised of students through Grade 7. This ensemble rehearses on Monday evenings from 5:45-6:45pm (October thru May).
*BYOV policy requires participation in your school music program.
UPCOMING AUDITION OPPORTUNITIES
- The audition deadline is JUNE 10, 2024.
- We currently have openings for VIOLIN, VIOLA, CELLO & BASS in this ensemble!
PREPARING & SUBMITTING YOUR AUDITION
- Record a video of your audition materials in a single take and upload it to YouTube. Our friends at the Virginia Symphony Orchestra have created a helpful tutorial on how to upload your audition video to YouTube.
- Complete the 2024-2025 Audition Application Form online and pay the $20 audition fee.
- Submit your sight reading assignment by June 10, 2024.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING YOUR SIGHTREADING ASSIGNMENT
There is an online sight-reading portion of this audition that you must complete using Sight Reading Factor (SRF).
- Create an account with Sight Reading Factory here: https://www.sightreadingfactory.com/student
- Use the student code fcjruw to create your complimentary account.
- Review instructions for new or returning users to create your complimentary SRF Account.
- Here is a helpful webinar video on using SRF!
- We suggest you spend some time practicing using this platform to get familiar. Ask your private teacher for help!
- Once you feel comfortable using the SRF program, you can start the sight-reading portion of your audition by clicking on the “Assignment” tab in the menu bar. You will have ten attempts to try out the assignment before you must make your submission.
BYOV is a tuition-based organization. Financial aid is available and audition fees will be waived for those who qualify. Complete the audition application for more information. For inquiries or questions please contact our Executive Director at [email protected].
Students should take these materials to their private instructor or school music teacher to ensure they are auditioning for the correct ensemble and are prepared for their audition.
Click on the link for your instrument to download and print the audition requirements below:
For tips on preparing for your BYOV audition, click HERE.